+++ 2019 +++

Irving Avenue: 19th St Bridge Replacement

Prior to construction, the Irving Avenue Bridge near 19th Street was a steel structure that was built in 1946.  This bridge serves as part of an alternate route for State Highway 30.  The bridge was showing signs of significant deterioration and required emergency repairs to keep it functional for heavy loads such as school buses, garbage trucks and fire trucks.

ODOT and the City secured federal funding from the Highway Bridge Replacement and Rehabilitation program (HBRRP) to replace the bridge. This provides 90% of the replacement cost with the remaining 10% to be funded by the City. The total funding amount for the estimated project costs is $6,187,000. 

In February 2013, the City Council approved several design options for the new structure including a single-span bridge with Texas railing (similar to the Franklin Bridge) and Irving Avenue will be closed during construction. Construction of the bridge started in August 2014 and was substantially completed on October 29, 2015, so it reopened to vehicular and pedestrian traffic.

A dedication ceremony will be held on Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 11:00 a.m. at the site of the Irving Avenue Bridge Replacement Project at 19th Street. The public is invited to attend this ceremony to celebrate the recent completion of this successful bridge.

The following images were displayed at the public open house that was held on June 26, 2014:
Irving Bridge overview pdf Document
Irving Bridge rendering pdf Document
Irving Bridge detour pdf Document

Condition of the Irving Bridge before construction

Condition of the Irving Bridge before construction

Sign Up for Project Updates